Haryana Tourism Policy, 2008
With the view to speed-up development of Tourism in Haryana, the State Government announced a Tourism Policy. The new tourism policy envisages creation of an environment conducive to attracting increased private investment in the tourism sector, and a more meaningful role for the Government.
Strategy for Development
The focus shall be on the following areas :
- To promote tourism as a major engine of economic growth and capitalize potential of sustainable tourism for economic and employment generation.
- To promote Haryana as a tourist destination to take advantage of the global travel trade and to develop untapped potential of Haryana.
- To acknowledge the critical role of private sector in development of tourism with government working as proactive facilitator and catalyst. The objective is to broaden and diversify the concept of tourism from only Highway Tourism to Eco Tourism, Adventure Tourism, Pilgrim Tourism, Farm Tourism, Golf Tourism, Medical Tourism and Heritage Tourism etc. in order to meet new market requirements.
- To enhance professional excellence in training human resources and providing infrastructure for Human Resource Development.
- Developing sustained and effective marketing strategy and plan.
- To use technology to achieve the above said goals.
Role of State Government
The State Government will confine its efforts to infrastructural development ensuring uninterrupted electricity, water supply and provision of basic medical facilities. It will also be responsible for dissemination of information, organisation of festivals and inter-departmental co-ordination to create conditions for attracting private sector investment for the tourism sector. For this it will provide fiscal incentives, assist in providing suitable sites and remove bottlenecks, especially those connected with infrastructural development.
Facilitating the Role of Private Sector
- The Tourism Policy also provides that the concessions available to the industry in the industrially backward blocks will also be available to the hotels/tourism projects.
- The Policy seeks to include Thanesar, Pehowa, Jagadhri, Panipat, Hisar, Bhiwani and Rewari blocks of the State as backward blocks from tourism point of view and the said incentives will also be available to the tourism/hotel projects in these blocks.
- The eligibility norms and the details of incentives proposed to be given to hotel/tourism projects have been specifically mentioned in the policy in which the projects of hotels (3 star and above), amusement parks/recreational parks/theme parks, golf courses, adventure tourism, multiplexes and malls and heritage hotels will be eligible for the concessions/incentives, which are available to industry besides being treated as industry.
(Download Tourism Policy (English)