Shaikh Chehlis Tomb

Sheikh Chilli's (or Chehali's) Tomb

Location -: Thanesar, Kurukshetra City

Situation -: Situated in Bari Mohalla, Thanesar, Kurukshetra

Under protection of -: Government of India

Period -: Circa 17th Century AD

History and description -: This beautiful tomb and the madarasa (school) are associated with the Sufi saint Abdu'r-Rahim alias Aabd-ul-Razak, popularly known as Shaikh Chehli (also pronounced Chilli) believed to be the spiritual teacher of the Mughal Prince Dara Shikoh, the eldest son of Emperor Shahjahan. The tomb, overlooking the madarasa and standing on an artificial terrace, is octagonal in shape with the entrance in the south. It is built of buff sandstone and is crowned with a pear-shaped dome of white marble standing on a high circular drum. The cenotaph of saint occupies the centre of the chamber, while his grave is located in the lower chamber, which conjoins the madarasa through a narrow gallery. The madrassa has nine-arched openings on each side of a central courtyard that has in the centre a stone masonty tank. John Dawkins, the then collector of Thaneshar, was instrumental in getting the tomb repaired in 1854 AD. The antiquities recovered from the excavations at Harsh ka Tilla and Bhagwanpura (both failing in the district of Kurukshetra) are displayed in two small museums of the madarasa building.

Kurukshetra Map

Find Map

Distance Calculator

0 : Distance (In k.m.)